Fall Fearless and Fly - Second Challenge


This is my first time participating art challenge online.  I signed up in Fall Fearless and Fly on Artists in Blogland and expected myself to take the challenge and made some good move for my art development.

I caught up the second challenge given the following prompts.
Headline Prompt:  Taking a Chance:  When did you take a chance or a leap of faith?  How did it turn out?  What did you learn?
Color Prompt:  What color do you like least? Use it!
Quote Prompt:  "Don't refuse to go on an occasional wild goose chase -- that's what wild geese are for." Anonymous

It appeared to me that the color prompt was easier for me to start up.  I wasn't thinking much about the headline and quote.  I wouldn't say that I dislike a certain color.  It is rather that I have less control over some of them.  Orange was the first color came across my mind and I always have hard time matching it with dark blue like Persian blue.  That was how I got there.


It has been a while for me asking myself how I can paint more freely.  I want to explore more possibility but most of time I can feel the fear of failing a work.

Now I decided to bear with the worry and do it anyway.  If I waste a canvas then I waste it!

So I prepared the canvas with gesso and coffee ground and painted it randomly with orange.  Later I added some megenta and a little burnt brown.  I did this over and over again until I saw something in the mix of texture and colors.



In the middle of coloring, I had to use the light blue (Wedgwood blue), a blue color that I was more comfortable with, to soften the orange.
It didn't turn out an orange picture as I planned but I was happy since the blue and orange stayed balanced together.  Well, we often deal with outcome that is not as planned, don't we?














I learned to see other aspects of me and my work.  I learned to appreciate rather than criticize myself like I usually do.  I took a chance to join these artists in Blogland and used colors I often feel less in control.  How did it turn out?  Not as bad as I imagined.  This reminded me of something - Stop creating monsters for myself.  That is when idea would occur.




Comments

  1. Your painting is magnificent! I love the subtle colors in the background and how they support your wonderful focal image! So glad you are a part of Fall Fearless and Fly!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love your picture. It is very mysterious. Thanks for linking up to FF &F

    ReplyDelete
  3. He seems unsure about something, the way he holds his hands in front of himself... and stands to the side of the image. Makes me want to know more about him.

    You've manage to provoke emotion and thought with this. Great piece.

    :-)



    ReplyDelete
  4. Amy,
    This is precious! I loved reading how you worked through your color palette. Thanks for visiting my blog. Happy FF&F,
    Rinda

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank you for sharing your process. There are so many steps along the way to making a beautiful piece of art.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Beautiful and haunting angel. It's a very emotive painting. I love the overlaying of colours and the depth. I have a little trouble with orange too, I rarely use it but I'm not sure why.

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a precious angel. Blessings!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thank you all for the comments! Makes me want to take another challenge!

    ReplyDelete
  9. i think your painting came out beautifully. i have a hard time with orange as well... i always think of it as a harsh color, but you've really softened it with the blue. the results are lovely.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I think it turned out amazing! You can really feel the innocense in the angel .. and I love the background!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Play