Fall Fearless and Fly - Third Challenge

© Amy Noel 2012

Yes!  I have done another challenge with Fall Fearless and Fly!
So, what's the third challenge?


Headline Prompt: Triumphs and Defeats: What do you see as your greatest triumphs or defeats? What have they taught you? Which have you learned more from? 
Color Prompt: Black and white 
Quote Prompt: Not in the clamor of the crowded street, not in the shouts and plaudits of the throng, but in ourselves, are triumph and defeat. Henry Wadsworth Longfellow

Triumphs and defeats?  They usually live in the process when I undertake an unplanned art work.  The thing is, if I plan one, I sometimes hesitate to start it because of the fear for failure.  This is the problem I am dealing with recently.  I don't want to stop though.  I think I have to keep painting so that my art can continue growing.  Taking challenges with FF&F somehow open a door for me.  I get to embrace the process where I put the triumphs and defeats aside and carry out what had been in my head, or what's never in there.

I had been thinking of a try-out for such painting inspired by a japanese artist, Hirao Kaori.  I knew about her from an art magazine long time ago.  The article is in Japanese and but I got some ideas how she worked with her oil pastel from the pictures and it is fascinating.


On canvas, randomly put on colors, any acrylic colors I wanted.  


Outline what I saw in the colors with black oil pastel and 
then adding shades with both black and white until satisfied.

I feel content with the work and most importantly that the idea has been carried out.  This time I defeated my hesitation and fear.  It has been casted out and I was rewarded.


Comments

  1. Oh my - this is so beautiful. I love how this face emerged, and how you worked with the prompts to create such a gorgeous painting. You surely triumphed here! Thank you for joining Fall Fearless and Fly!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Jessica. I enjoy FF&F very much!

      Delete
  2. Anonymous7/11/12 04:15

    What an amazing piece of art! Your process sounds very freeing and I like what you saw in your work and that you shared it with us.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I really love the process you described and your finished piece is just wonderful. I think it needs to be entered into the "Sunday Morning" TV show group of "Sun" faces they display there. I lived in Tainan when my Dad was in the Air Force when I was in my teens. We(teens) would fly up to Taipei on a military transport and go swimming in the "Grand Hotel" swimming pool. That was in 1958 & '59 so I am sure might even be gone by now!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh Gloria, you lived in Tainan before? That's my hometown! My parent moved to Tainan when I was little and I did not leave there until I went to college. The Grand Hotel is still here in Taipei. I believe their swimming pool would not be the same, though...Anyways...it's so nice to know someone in a distance used to be so near in my country.

      Delete
  4. Beautiful artwork and a really interesting creative process.

    ReplyDelete
  5. A triumph indeed.... I love the colours and the face is perfect

    Karenx

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Amy,
    Yes, it is a small world! Thank you for your comment on my blog.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Yes you were rewarded! This is definitely a triumph! So glad you shared this with Fall Fearless and Fly!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Fall Fearless and Fly - Second Challenge

Play