Hand Sewn & Embroidered Coasters

Recently I have been having a craze for embroidery.  At first I tried to stitch on card and now I am making some products in fabric.  I started from sewing coasters.

I desire to make things with my own illustrations.  It surely would be easy that you pay some money and get them perfectly printed but the hand-made tells a different depth of story.  I did some research about sewing and stitching either from books or the  embroidery artist, 袁朝露-永無島手作刺繡雜貨,  Then I selected my existing illustrations to create a serial of fabric works.

I chose the six characters in watercolor which I created more than a year ago when I was with Carla Sonheim's Class for Faces 101.  These were randomly painted and drawn and it came out to be individual personality for each character.  That is why I like them so much and ultimately wanted to sew them down to make products of my own.

近來迷上刺繡,自從上次做了手縫卡片後,現在挑戰做布類雜貨,就從做杯墊開始。

想用自己的插圖做創意商品,花錢去印製商品的確很方便,但是手作商品感覺更有深度。我從書本還有刺繡創作人袁朝露老師-永無島手作刺繡雜貨學一些縫法,然後選用了之前畫的插畫進行一系列的布作。

所選的6個人物是之前上Carla Sonheim's Class for Faces 101課程用水彩畫的,這些隨興畫出的人物最後個別呈現他們自己的性格,所以自己也非常喜愛,因此決定拿來縫縫看。

The Original Artwork set #1 (watercolor)
原圖1 (水彩)
The Original Artwork set #2 (watercolor)原圖2 (水彩)

The Tracing & Coloring on Fabric (before embroidering, WIP)
描圖及上色(刺繡前半成品)

Finished Coasters (fabric: linen & cotton)
杯墊完成品 (材質: 棉麻)

There is an article about "Embroidery as illustration" which I found their works are so charming.  Love it!  Using embroidery as media to create illustration is challenging, but if someday I could make such a book it would be definitely so cool!

在網路上看到這篇文章 "Embroidery as illustration"裡面的刺繡活兒真是迷人,好喜愛!拿刺繡作媒材難度高,但如果做出這種書來一定很酷的吧!



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Fall Fearless and Fly - Second Challenge

Play